close
GAZA: United Nations staff members inspect the remains of a car used by US-based aid group World Central Kitchen that was hit by a Zionist strike the previous day in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. - AFP photos
GAZA: United Nations staff members inspect the remains of a car used by US-based aid group World Central Kitchen that was hit by a Zionist strike the previous day in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. - AFP photos
Zionists kill 7 aid workers in Gaza
World powers condemn strike • Al Jazeera slams moves to ban broadcasts

GAZA: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admitted Tuesday the Zionist entity’s military had killed seven aid workers with a US charity in an air strike in Gaza. World Central Kitchen had already said a “targeted attack” by Zionist forces on Monday had killed the group, which included Australian, British, Palestinian, Polish and US-Canadian employees.

AFPTV footage showed the roof of a vehicle emblazoned with the group’s logo had been punctured, alongside the mangled wreck of other vehicles. The White House was “heartbroken”, US National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson said on X, stressing that aid workers “must be protected as they deliver aid that is desperately needed”.

Zionist strikes continued throughout the territory with the health ministry in Gaza saying 71 people were killed between Monday and Tuesday. The Zionist military on Monday ended a two-week operation around Gaza’s largest hospital, Al-Shifa, which left the complex in ruins and killed hundreds.

Netanyahu has promised to push on with the war to destroy Hamas despite nightly street protests at home demanding he step down. He has also faced some pushback from staunch ally the United States. The White House said in a statement Monday it had once again expressed concerns to the Zionist entity about a planned offensive in Gaza’s crowded southern city of Rafah, and the Zionist entity had pledged to “take these concerns into account”.

The right-wing Zionist leader also moved Monday to ban broadcasts from the Zionist entity by the Qatar-based news channel Al Jazeera, which he labeled a “terrorist channel”. The broadcaster, several of whose journalists have been killed and wounded in the war, called his comments a “dangerous, ludicrous lie”.

The Zionist entity’s campaign has killed at least 32,916 people, mostly women and children, according to the health ministry in Gaza. A spokesman for Gaza’s civil defense agency said 300 people had been killed in and around Shifa hospital. Gaza has been under Zionist blockade since the start of the war, with the United Nations accusing the Zionist entity of preventing humanitarian aid deliveries and warning of “catastrophic” hunger.

US-based WCK has been working to unload food brought to Gaza by sea from Cyprus. The bodies of its staff were taken to a hospital mortuary in the central town of Deir al-Balah, an AFP photographer reported. One of them was laid on a makeshift stretcher, wearing a top with the WCK name and logo.

The group’s CEO Erin Gore said: “I am heartbroken and appalled that we — World Central Kitchen and the world — lost beautiful lives today because of a targeted attack by the (Zionist army).” The aid group said the team was traveling in a “de-conflicted” area in a convoy of “two armored cars branded with the WCK logo” and another vehicle at the time of the strike. “Despite coordinating movements with the (Zionist army), the convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route,” it said.

The Zionist military said it was “conducting a thorough review at the highest levels to understand the circumstances of this tragic incident”, adding it had been “working closely with WCK”. Spanish charity Open Arms has been working closely with WCK on the aid deliveries from Cyprus, and Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez demanded the Zionist entity explain the “brutal” strike. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned the “completely unacceptable” attack. UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he was "shocked and saddened" after learning that a Briton was among those killed. – AFP

Our Arabic language is a queen crowned over all languages. If Arabs were not weak and divided — and some even hostile to the language - Arabic speakers would be found everywhere and in all arenas, proud of its pronunciation and the beauty of its m...
Parliamentary elections during Ramadan often bring about a familiar scene: Gossip, lies, fraud and possibly bribery, whether overt or concealed. This unfortunate reality underscores the nature of political battles, where narratives are often embelli...
MORE STORIES