KUWAIT: An Arab woman in her seventies died from smoke inhalation during a fire reported in Salmiya yesterday. Firemen rushed to the scene in response to an emergency call and discovered that the fire started inside the living room of a second floor apartment. Firemen immediately evacuated the building but the smoke resulting from the fire was so thick that it also affected three of the firefighters who suffered from thermal stress, burns and smoke inhalation. A case was filed for investigations.
Security forces arrested and Egyptian woman working for a beauty salon and two Indian housemaids, including one who had been reported for absconding, for begging. All three were caught in the act of begging in public and have been referred to the relevant authorities. Begging has become increasingly common in Kuwait and spikes especially during the holy month when more people are inclined to pass out charity.
Kuwait Municipality inspectors continued their inspection campaign held under the title of ‘Your health matters to us’ by inspecting all butcheries and the fish market at Mubarakiya where they destroyed 30 kilos of foul fish, five kilos of banned items and filing 12 citations.
By Hanan Al-Saadoun