Mosque of Al-Zahir Baybars, which began construction in the year 1266, is considered one of Egypt’s most ancient mosques as it bore witness to many centuries and varying historic events. The Cairo-based 12,600 square meter land plot was turned by the French into a military fort with cannons lining the walls.
The British colonialists, on the other hand, used the mosque for storage purposes. In spite of the changing times, and recent restoration and development, Al-Zahir Baybars mosque kept up prayer rituals and preserved its religious identity. – KUNA