close
GAZA: A man with his children walks past destroyed buildings in Khan Yunis on June 20, 2024. - AFP
GAZA: A man with his children walks past destroyed buildings in Khan Yunis on June 20, 2024. - AFP

Zionist-Hezb tensions drive fears of war

GAZA/BEIRUT: Fears of a regional war rose Thursday after Lebanon’s powerful Hezbollah movement said none of the Zionist entity would be spared in a full-blown conflict, and the Zionist entity said it had approved plans for a Lebanon offensive. In the latest border unrest, Hezbollah said it fired dozens of rockets into the Zionist entity in retaliation for a deadly air strike in south Lebanon that the Zionist entity said killed a Hezbollah operative.

Experts are divided on the prospect of wider war, almost nine months into the Zionist entity’s vow to eradicate Hamas, the Palestinian group in the Gaza Strip. On Wednesday, the Zionist entity’s top military spokesman said Hamas, as an ideology, cannot be eliminated. Others, including US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, have also pointed to the difficulty of destroying the Islamist group.

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah’s group and Zionist forces have exchanged near-daily fire since Hamas’ Oct 7 attack on the Zionist entity, and the bellicose talk has lately escalated along with the strikes. In a televised address, Nasrallah said “no place” in the Zionist entity would “be spared our rockets” if war began.

The chief of the Iran-backed group also threatened the nearby island nation of Cyprus if it opened its airports or bases to the Zionist entity “to target Lebanon”.

European Union member Cyprus is home to two British bases, including an airbase, but they are in sovereign British territory and not controlled by the Cypriot government. On Thursday the Cypriot government spokesman dismissed as “totally groundless” any suggestion of possible involvement in a conflict related to Lebanon.

“Cyprus is not involved, nor will it become involved, in any military conflicts,” Konstantinos Letymbiotis told state radio. Warplanes from the British airbase in Cyprus have, along with US forces, carried out reprisal strikes against Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels who have for months been attacking shipping in adjacent waterways. On Wednesday the US military said its forces destroyed two Houthi sites in Yemen.

The Zionist offensive in Gaza has killed at least 37,431 people, mostly women and children, according to the health ministry in the territory. The latest toll on Thursday included at least 35 deaths over the previous day, the ministry said.

The Houthis and Hezbollah both say they are acting in response to the Zionist entity’s actions in Gaza. On Tuesday, the Zionist entity’s military announced that “operational plans for an offensive in Lebanon were approved and validated”. The same day, Hezbollah published a video showing drone footage purportedly taken by the movement over the Zionist entity, including parts of Haifa’s city and port. US envoy Amos Hochstein has called for “urgent” de-escalation.

Weary residents of Beirut on Thursday downplayed the chances of war in Lebanon, which a political deadlock has left essentially leaderless while a five-year economic meltdown continues. In the Zionist entity, some citizens called for action against Hezbollah, and Noam Galili, 29, said: “I know what it is like to live close to Lebanon, but it never felt as dangerous as it does now.”

The violence has already displaced tens of thousands of people, mostly in Lebanon but also in the Zionist entity. In southern Gaza, a United Nations mission found hundreds of thousands of displaced people “suffer from poor access to shelter, health, food, water and sanitation,” a UN report said late Wednesday.

In central Gaza, residents said they had turned to cooking oil to power their cars. US President Joe Biden has called for the implementation of a ceasefire plan he outlined last month. Hochstein and Washington’s top diplomat, Blinken, say a deal to curb fighting in Gaza would by extension help resolve the Hezbollah-Zionist violence. Zionist Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s far-right coalition partners strongly oppose a Gaza ceasefire. He is also facing regular street protests by tens of thousands demanding a deal to free captives, and accusing him of prolonging the war.

Zionist military spokesman, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, on Wednesday told the Zionist entity’s Channel 13: “To say that we are going to make Hamas disappear is to throw sand in people’s eyes. If we don’t provide an alternative, in the end, we will have Hamas.” He said, “Hamas is an ideology. We cannot eliminate an ideology.”

Zionist government spokesman David Mencer said Thursday Hamas’ “final stronghold” in Rafah on the border with Egypt is systematically being taken apart. “And we will win,” he told a press briefing. Blinken last month said Washington had not seen a Zionist post-war plan and “the trajectory the Zionist entity is on” would still leave thousands of Hamas fighters. – AFP

By Sheikh Mohammed Ahmed Al-Sabah AAIOT Chairman of the Board of Directors The Arabian Gulf countries are known for their vast oil reserves and wealth, but they are also facing serious challenges such as climate change, water scarcity, and corruptio...
By Abdullah Al-Mutawa In recent years, Kuwait has observed a noticeable decline in public taste, as evidenced by shifts in our cultural, artistic, and social life. This trend poses a significant challenge to our nation’s cultural identity and inte...